Polenta with Italian Sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine water, cornmeal and salt in a double boiler or heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage and garlic in a large skillet; drain. Cool slightly. Cut sausage into 1-in. pieces; return to the skillet. Add parsley, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Spread half of the cornmeal mixture in a serving dish; top with half of the sausage mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.