Coffee Roasted Beef Chuck
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups brewed coffee
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large pot, heat the butter and oil over medium/high heat. Place the roast in the pot and sear it on all sides until well browned. Remove the roast and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute the onions for 5 minutes, scraping loose the brown roast bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the garlic and pepper and saute for 1 minute. Return the meat to the pot and pour in the coffee and add the mushrooms.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 hours, turning the meat over halfway through the cooking time. A slow cooker or crock pot may be used for cooking the roast, if desired.
- To make the gravy: When the roast is done, remove it from the pot. Take 1/2 cup of the coffee sauce mixture from the pot and stir in the flour to make a slurry. Mix well. Return the slurry to the pot, stirring until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in the sour cream then salt to taste.