Layered Tomato Pie
We have 2 birthdays in the month of July in our family. We celebrated one with this, and last night I made a tomato pie I want to remember, because it might just be the summer recipe triumph.
Here’s what I used:
- a little leftover ground sausage (maybe 1/2 pound?)
- an onion, large slices
- 3 garlic cloves, finely cut
- deep dish pie crust from the freezer section (couldn’t manage making my own!)
- a little leftover cooked brown rice
- a handful of fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, sliced into circles
- goat cheese to taste
- fresh basil, cut into strips
Here’s what I did:
- browned the sausage, then turned the heat down and threw in the onions followed by the garlic and let them cook a LONG time (maybe close to 30 minutes?)
- preheated oven to 400, put fork marks all over the pie crust, and baked it for about 7-10 minutes
- took pie crust out of oven, then layered brown rice on the bottom (it absorbs all the tomato liquid!), chopped spinach, and tomatoes.
- put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- add goat cheese and bake until barely browned on pie crust and cheese.
- add fresh basil strips and serve
Savor every bite, because there will be no leftovers!
From Jeni Lee