Spring Veggie Bread Pudding
6 eggs from free range hens
1 cup milk
2 tsp whole grain mustard
1 cup chopped fresh parsley, thyme and chives
¼ tsp salt
A large pinch of white pepper
3 cups bite-sized cubes of day-old bread
1 cup farmstead cheese, grated
½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tbsp butter
2 scallions or garlic scapes, chopped
½ pound of shiitake, oyster or other mushrooms, sliced
½ pound asparagus, woody end removed, cut in 1” pieces
½ pound kale, swiss chard, spinach or combo of these, ribs removed, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blanch asparagus pieces in boiling water for 2 minutes and set aside.
2. Mix together eggs, milk, mustard, herbs and spices. Add bread and ¾ cup of cheese. Reserve remaining cheese for later.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Sauté scallions for 2 minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes more, then add greens and sauté until they just begin to wilt.
4. Fold sautéed veggies and blanched asparagus into the egg mixture. Grease or oil an 11×7 glass baking pan and pour veggie/egg mix into pan.
5. Sprinkle bread pudding preparation with remaining farmstead cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Make sure center is set prior to allowing to rest on the stove for 5 minutes.
Enjoy with a salad of fresh spring greens and good company!
Copyright 2009-2016 All Rights Reserved | Main Street Farmers Market, P.O. Box 4552, Chattanooga TN 37405 | Email: info@MainStFarmersMarket.com